Working out from home was once the fallback plan but has now become the main thing!
If you’ve been keeping a list of the “new normal” since last year, we can add home gyms to the list of things people didn’t really use much before 2020.
Remember when your treadmill was just a coat rack?
Or you used your dumbbells as a door stopper?
Yep, those days are gone, as many people blew the dust off their equipment and got to work!
If you’re still considering working out from home for the foreseeable future, I want to give you a list of must-haves that will help you stay in shape while keeping enough variety to not get bored or spend a ton of money in the process.
1. At least one set of dumbbells. If you can’t buy multiple pairs, I recommend starting with one pair of 10 or 15-pound weights, depending on your fitness level. You can do numerous exercises with one pair, especially if performing the exercises in a circuit to keep the calorie burn high. And if you’re able to make a big investment, you can purchase a set of adjustable weights that allow you to easily go from 5lb to 50lb using the same dumbbell set.
2. A set of resistance bands. Resistance bands are a cost-effective, EASY way to adjust the intensity in your workouts and get more challenge. Most sets come with five different bands that you can combine to increase the weight even more, if needed. Make sure there’s a door anchor included in the set, which is great for back exercises like the row and lat pull down.
3. A mat. Unless you want to lay on the floor (and no judgment if you do), a mat will be needed for floor exercises. Aim for something with a little cushion so it doesn’t feel like you’re… laying on the floor.
4. A stability ball. These balls are very versatile and can be used for exercising almost every body part. They are lightweight and easy to move around.
5. A jump rope. I LOVE jump ropes for quick, high-intensity cardio sessions that burn tons of calories. The best thing about a jump rope is that it doesn’t take up a lot of space. And these are great for all fitness levels, with weighted jump ropes being an even more challenging option for advanced fitness goers.
These items are all you need to get started and have an effective workout! You can always add more later, but I recommend these five as the bare essentials.